Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Am I Crazy?

Definition of Crazy
Ok, Webster’s definition of being crazy is this Crazy and judging from one of those definitions, I may have been crazy for a bit.

I had just finished my lunch, a spaghetti with mushroom sauce and grilled asparagus. It was pretty good and decided to watch some TV and do some knitting before I had to get back to work. About 20 minutes later, I started itching near my neck and head and was starting to feel flushed. Then my hands, more specifically, the tips of all my fingers started to hurt. Really hurt. My hands were starting to blow up and it was probably due to my fingernails being attached that it stopped growing, which probably explains why I was in so much pain.

I told my co-worker about how I feel and she could see something was happening to me. I took some Benedryl figuring that I was most likely having an allergic reaction to my lunch. I told her that I’ll wait to see if the Benedryl takes effect. I might go into the ER if it gets worse. It wasn’t, so I went upstairs to see my supervisor, but she wasn’t there, having left for the day. So I saw the Lead Tech and told her what was happening and that I had to go to the ER.

The ER is actually very close and only took me seconds to get to. I guess that’s one advantage for working at my job, walking distance for emergency situations. I was accepted and shortly saw a doctor. She agreed that I was having an allergic reaction and we discussed what medicines to use and how it’s administered. I went with the IV over oral, because I didn’t want to have to wait for it to go through my stomach and needles do not scare me.

Once the IV was put in, there was nothing for me to do, so I looked up at the blank TV screen. I really wished I have telekinesis so I could turn it on, but I didn’t, so i just started at a blank screen. i looked down at my hand with the IV and noticed the tube was red. How strange, that shouldn’t be red, I wondered. I was bleeding to death and it was kinda cool. when did I get so emo all of a sudden? The nurse saw the blood. Actually, what she saw was my bloody clothes. I didn’t notice it, because it was covered by my arm. I only notice what looked like a crime scene, when I raised my arm so she could put a lock onto my IV and my hospital gown was changed. I’m really glad I didn’t have to clean that bloody mess!

Now with the lock on my IV, I was given my medication. So I waited...

and waited...

and waited...

and waited...

We were waiting for my body to respond to the medication. If I didn’t get better (Hi Dan Savage, LOVE you and your Podcast!), I would have to be given another medicine that was more aggressive.

So I waited...

My body finally showed some reaction, by hurting less. That’s a good sign right? That if feeling hurt was bad, feeling that same pain less (it’s all relative) means that I’m getting better right?

So I waited...

The nurses and doctor checked in on me several times and I was able to tell them how I felt. About the third check in, the effects were starting to show on my face. Sheesh, I always thought I was transparent. Now it’s certified in a hospital!

I eventually got better and had the IV taken out. I was given a prescription for more medicine to continue my healing, but because of the timing, everything was closed. Seattle really can be a small town sometimes, where everything closes after 7PM! So I’ll have to get my medication tomorrow.

I go back to work and try to do as much as possible with what little time I had left before having to clock out.

At home, I spoke with my boyfriend and he’s going to see what medicines he can get from Costco. I know it’s overkill, but half the medicines I need, were over the counter and it will be better for me to have extra during the allergy season.

What really surprises me, is that while I was at times scared and freaked out, I was remarkably calm. I was able to detach a part of me. It was that separate part of me, that assessd the situation, that walked me through the halls, to talk to the necessary people, tell them what I was going through in a manner and tone of voice that helped these people help me! When I was bleeding out, I didn’t freak out for this same reason. Maybe this is like being bipolar, it just wasn’t hurting others, but in fact, was able to help the situation to a better outcome.

So yeah, I was crazy today.

Now, good night.

No comments: