Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Color me silly...

which would probably be something between red and chartreus. The events in this entry actually happened last Friday, but I was so embarrassed about it that it took until now to want to write about it. Blogging as therapy in other words.

So, last Friday I was going over to Berkeley to watch Ethan Mao at the Asian American International Film Festival. I was actually pretty excited. I had seen the trailors and knew the film maker, Quentin Lee, personally. His previous works, Shopping for Fangs, Drift, etc. are some of my favorite movies. Maybe it was all that nervous energy or something, but somehow I got lost.

I left work at 5PM right on the dot and jumped onto the MUNI towards downtown. The transfer onto BART took no time at all. Then things started happening. I fell asleep on the BART train and missed my stop. When I came to, I got off at the first station and took the train headed in the opposite direction. I got to Berkeley at a little past 6:10PM, I'm still good, since the movie started at 7:00.

At this time, I was starving and thought I could grab something to eat before the movie. I walked around looking for something that I would eat. Earlier in the morning, I had an appointment with my orthodontist and he made adjustments to my braces. Some people call it "tightening", but there was actually nothing to tighten, no springs, no joints. What he did was replace some plastic connections with metal ones. So now my mouth was in mild pain and I can only eat soft foods. So I found myself going in and out of several places, looking for something I could actually eat.

I finally found a restaurant named New Hong Kong. The name was similar enough to SF's New Sun Hong Kong where I had a favorite dish, satay runny egg shrimp chow fun. Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it *yummers*. I thought, "Maybe this place was related and had that dish." They did! So I ordered and sat down to wait for my order. By this time, it was 6:30PM. Time was ticking. I finally got my order at 6:45PM and ran out the door. There was no time to eat, as I only had 15 minutes to get to the theater. I ran down Shattuck towards the theater.

After about 10 minutes of running with no theater in sight, I realized something was wrong. I found a indy looking video rental place that had some programs for the Pacific Film Archives, the theater I had to be at. Then I asked a clerk where the theater was. He pointed back towards I just ran from and gave me the street and cross street, Bancroft at Telegraph! There was no way I was going to make it in time, but I tried my best.

In my heart, I knew I wasn't going to make it in time and by the time I got to the theater, it was 7:15PM and the doors were closed. I was really sweaty and tired and decided to sit outside in the cool night air and have my still warm noodles. Quentin Lee and a friend came out and I said hi. I told him about what happened and he pointed behind me and said, "The movie's showing right there." Thanks alot Quentin. He went off to grab some chow and I sat down with mine.

So now I have an unused ticket as a souvenier. I might even post a pic of it once I get over my embarrassment over this.

I hanged out at Milano Cafe till Stkyrice came to pick me up.

It was such a nice night...


:: jozjozjoz :: said...

I've done stuff like that more often that I'd like to admit.

As for Ethan Mao, I've been looking forward to seeing it, so it's too bad you didn't see it either.

Efren said...

Well, considering I didn't even know where you were until you had to spell it out for me when I was looking for you, I can't really talk either.