Friday, August 13, 2004

City's gays, lesbians disappointed but determined / ONWARD: Setback strengthens push for marriage rights

February 14, 2004 to August 12, 2004, not quite six months. For almost six months, I was married. I was married to my husband Efren for almost six months. But wait a minute, according to the court ruling, my marriage was null and void. That means I was never married! What fucking crock of shit is THAT!

I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now. I decorated my office with hearts flying through the air for Valentine's day. I had planned on changing my decorations afterwards, but then I got married and the hearts symbolized my love. They showed to the world that it was a wonderful beautiful thing. Each time someone would comment on it, I would feel even better. It's time to take down those hearts.

Karen Goodwin, 61, of Oakland states "It was self-indulgent, a lot of flamboyant showcasing for their cause," said Goodwin, who added that she knows many gays and lesbians. "But marriage is going too far."

How is getting married the man I love self indulgent? I just want to give up myself and take care of him. Is that self indulgent? We stay at home and play video games or watch our cooking shows recorded on our new tivo, is that flamboyant?

Goodwin states that she knows many gays and lesbians. Do they know how you consider them second class citizens? That you do not consider them worthy of having the same rights that you enjoy? That you think that they have gone too far?

Have we gone too far? Lady, you haven't seen anything yet!

It's sad to say, but this decision wasn't anticipated. My husband are thinking about going up to Vancouver B.C. or Toronto and getting married, for the first time legally. We had many friends that were angry at us for not inviting them to our marriage. It happened so fast that there was no way to let them know. When we get married this time, we'll be sure to invite all our friends. It's times like this that I love services such as Friendster, Downelink, Tribe, Orkut, Fridae, etc. and of course blogs. They allow us to get the information out quickly and it's up to each individual to get that information and do with it what they will.

On a sad note, I just found out that Julia Child passed away in her sleep last night. It amazing how someone that I have never met, their passing would affect me so deeply. I never had the honor of meeting her, but she has always inspired me to cook and bake. I always thought she was this amazing woman from Europe. To find that she is from Pasadena, shocked me. The Beach Boys song "lil old lady from Pasadena" runs through my mind everytime I think of her. Don't ask me the words, I just remember that line :)

No comments: