Friday, November 05, 2004

What's wrong with the old customs???

A good friend of mine once said to me, "Just because it's a custom, it doesn't mean it's right". I kinda took that to heart and always reflected on things that I've done by habit, because I really didn't wanna hurt or irritate anyone, cuz that's just not me.

Flashforward a few years.
Another friend just sent me this email.

"Sometimes the old customs 'ain't so bad!

Barbara Walters of 20/20 did a story on gender roles in Kabul several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that women customarily walked about five paces behind their husbands.

She returned to Kabul recently and observed that women still walk behind their husbands, but now seem to walk even further back and are happy with the old custom.

Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, "Why do you now seem happy with the old custom that you used to try and change?"

"Land mines," said the woman.

No comments: