Wednesday, September 01, 2004

So, I saw the Dame Edna show last night. A friend called me up during lunch and asked if I would want tickets that night. Of course I said "YES"!

The show was actually pretty funny, although you definitely had to turn off your PC sensors. I really enjoy comedy, especially smart comedy. For the longest time, Ellen Degenerous was my favorite comedianne, because she was the only one I knew of that didn't have to resort to foul language. It's a silly reason, but at the time I was more of a prude.

At one point early on, her show was kinda boring. The sound wasn't the greatest at the Curran theater and when she's mumbling...that just makes it harder trying to understand what she said.

All in all, I thought the show was pretty good. What made it even better was that it was free. I just checked ticket prices...orchastra seats were going for over $150. I sat in the mezzanine and have no idea what those seats are going for, but I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them.

Hey! I'm not cheap....I'm dirt broke and I just got paid!

I got my car registration last month....$1100 and change! Here's some advice for people actually reading this...pay off your freaking parking tickets! So I'm budgeting for the next three months, taking about a third off and putting it in my savings, so I have the whole amount in October when it's due.

Another reason I'm dirt broke...my husband wasn't able to pay the mortage this month, so I paid his part. I went from doing ok, to flat broke in the time it took to write those two checks.

So here's what's going to happen this month....

no dining out, which is probably a good thing...i have waaaaaaay too much food in the kitchen as it is. I like to be prepared, so sue me.

no shopping, ok....window shopping is ok...i'll just leave the credit cards at home

no gifts for any reason...so if you happen to have a birthday, anniversary, whatever...you're out of luck. The most you'll get out of me is a handshake...if you're lucky....see below.

no driving the car anywhere except to work. I'm actually thinking about catching the bus. I spend about $30 a week on gas alone....the only reason I'll keep driving to work is that otherwise, I'm going to be really pissed off, since I already paid for parking at the new parking lot that just opened up for UCSF... there's only 200 spaces available and I was the first person to get one! We have thousands of people that come here for work, school, as patients, etc. The waiting list for the on campus parking is over 10 years! So I'll be damned if I give up my parking now! Oh...and I only pay $30 a month! Another great thing about this is that I can park on campus after hours and the weekends...this is really great as we're near Golden Gate Park and I do a lot of stuff (i.e. Now and Zen, Banana Man Chase, to name a few)here during those times....FREE PARKING!!!

I only beat 5 bananas last year...did my fastest time ever for a 5K, but at the end...I thought I died. I couldn't move at all and just laid there on the sunny grass. I don't have any plans to run fast. I'm doing it as part of my training for this year's marathon in Hawaii. I hope to finish that race in under 7 hours and I think I can make it....IF I don't overtrain, like I did last year, and hurt myself. So I wanted more practice in races and learn how to pace myself better when I'm caught up in the excitement of an actual race.

No comments: