Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Turkey's Lament

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (in the United States)!

This is a purely USAmerican holiday. One where people come together as a family, annoy the hell out of each other, give each other indigestion and food poisoning, and generally set the tone for the rest of the year and remind us why we only want to see other members of our family just once (or twice counting Christmas) a year.

I received the above link from two different people. I wouldn't be surprised to see it as the most downloaded file this week.

What is it about this particular holiday that drives some people to new gastronomic heights and others to the funny farm? How often does one get the chance to cook up something weighing more than a newborn baby? I was watching "The Secret Life of... Thanksgiving" last night. I had never known turkey became the favored food of choice, because other meats at the time, became too expensive! So the turkey became the de-facto sacrifice due to it's abundant numbers and relatively easy access.

What a concept. We slaughter millions of turkeys every year because the early diners were too cheap or lazy to get anything else!

I ended up cooking waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much last year and made a promise to myself that I will do as little cooking this year as possible. So far, I have promised to bring some chips to one party.

So what are my plans? Well, I have tickets to see "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" on IMAX at 10:30AM with a friend. After the movie, we're heading over to his house for drinks and some other friends joining us. These friends are then going to have an early Thanksgiving meal at Mel's, while I head off to my party. I'll catch up with them for a showing of "Rent". After that, I don't know. I might be too pooped out to do anything else. I just might spend the rest of the night hanging out with those friends, a family of my choosing... probably getting toasty (drunk). hehehe

Here are my thankings
To family, friends so dear
Thank you, thank you, thanks

AiYahh!

No comments: