Monday, March 28, 2005

Wanna see what I'm drooling over?

The Vectrix VXe Electric Scooter.

This amazing scooter is going to be available in North America sometime in 2006. Ever since my car, "Murphey", died. He's been dying a slow death actually. I've been thinking about not owning my own set of wheels.

I figured that I've lived for over 20 years and never owned any vehicle, so I don't really need a set now, right? It will mean that I will be at the mercy of MUNI, BART and other forms of public transportation outside of my own semi-reliable feet. Worst case scenario is that I'll end up walking all over S.F. from my home in Daly City. Heck, I've completed TWO marathons and countless shorter races. I know I could go from one end of S.F. to the other in less than two hours on foot, but would anyone want to be near me when I'm all sweaty and stuff?

Piggy people excepted, of course not.

Then I saw this posting about the electric scooter. What's great about it, is that you can plug it in at home or the office (if you have a long enough cord) or recharge it using solar cells! The range is 70 miles, so realistically I would only need to charge it every other day if I only go to work and back home. To be on the safe side, I would probably let it charge up while I leave it parked on the streets at work, so that it's charged up. The solar cells will charge the battery 80% in 2 1/2 hours and fully charged in just over 3 hours. I can deal with that. I work for 8 hours in a normal day, so this is no problem.

Now I just have to get my motorcycle driving license. Something I was planning on getting anyway. I guess I know where part of my tax refund is going to :)

No comments: