Thursday, December 09, 2004

Hawaii here I come!

Hey everyone, I'm leaving for Honolulu in a few hours. I'm going to take part in my second marathon ever this Sunday... the Honolulu Marathon!

What could ever get me to do another marathon? Hell, why even do the first one? Well, I've always had asthma. The funny thing is that I never knew about it. I never knew why I had no energy and lost all my breath when I was a kid and ran around the playground. I never took any medication for it or did anything to deal with it. I just thought that I wasn't as athletic as other kids... really helped with my self esteem.

I only found out that i had asthma when i decided to look iinto my records. I was graduating from High School and I had heard that it was a good idea to see what people have had put into my file over the years. Everything was pretty boring, till I saw the medical files. There in small black letters...asthma.

What really irritates me is that nobody ever told me! What's even worse is that my gym grade was based on how fast I could run a mile. Gym was my only bad grade in school when I "applied" myself. I thought I was a complete failure as my classmates ran past me during the tests. I would find my sides burning up and I would have to bend over in half just to breath. My teachers knew about my medical condition, yet I was still being graded on the same scale as other students. Is that fucked up or what?

So, back to why I did a marathon and am doing another one. I wanted to prove to myself that asthma isn't going to hold me back. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I crossed that finish line was absolutely wonderful and worth more than anything in the world.

How many people can say that they've finished a marathon? Well, I can now and I'm going to keep doing it every year as long as I can.

Wish me luck :)

No comments: